Wednesday, September 24, 2008

I'm Going Home

I walked into the old man's room
It was gloomy and dark
He lay on an old beat up bed
Victim of an old heart
I sat on the bed beside him
He put his hand in mine
The old eyes looked up at me
He said listen well my child

Someday you will see
And someday you will know
Why I no longer have any fears
Because I'm going home
There's kingdom in the clouds
Where the streets are paved with gold
And there's a crystal sea a-shinin'
Or so I have been told

He said, "I'm going home
There's a band of angels comin' to take me away"
He said, "I'm going home
And hopefully I'll see you, join me there someday"

Then the old man began to shiver
And his eyes seemed to fill with age
But even with his final breath
There was a smile on his face

And now I'm going home
There's a band of angels comin' to take me away
Yes, I'm going home
And you know, I'm gonna see him; I'll join him there today

Because I'm going home....

© 1991-2009 Samantha Greene

I lost the original writing of this one, so I'm not sure of the date, other than that it was somewhere around 93. It was inspired by the death of my step-grandfather, but it really encompasses the attitude of so many that I've known who have passed on. I wish that I could write the music that I hear in my head for it, but I'm just not that good. LOL

No comments: