Monday, September 15, 2008

The Soccer Mom

Her day started out so beautifully.
She got the children out of bed.
"Brush your teeth and wash your face."
She got them dressed and fed.
She told them to be good at school
And bring home little gold stars.
She gathered kids, books and homework
And put them in the car.
She drove them all to school
And dropped them at the curb.
She kissed their cheeks and smoothed their hair.
"Have a good day," she urged.

She turned the car toward the city
With thoughts of her husband, John.
I don't know the name of the interstate
Or which ramp she got on.
I know she sang along with the radio,
Some sweet song of love gone wrong.
She set the car on cruise control
And hurried right along.

When the truck in front swerved,
She couldn't react in time.
She tried to jerk the wheel around
And I heard her brakes whine.
She didn't have the time
That reaction would require.
And the metal in the road
Bit deep into her tires.
The brakes squealed in outrage
And she cried out in fear.
Her car was doing sixty
When she ran into the pier.
There was a crash like rising thunder.
I heard her cry out a name.
Powerless, I smelled the fumes
And saw the first flicker of flames.
I saw her through the window.
I saw her still awake.
As the fire consumed her body
And fed upon her face.

© 1991-2009 Samantha Greene

This was actually a nightmare of mine and it was one of the worst I've ever had. Because in the dream, I *was* that woman. I'm not sure what made me dream this, but I didn't sleep for three nights after.

No comments: