Tuesday, September 16, 2008

On Writing...

Aahh... I saw where a friend of mine had started a blog to create some accountability for his writing. Good idea, mind if I borrow it? (Don't bother answering, I'm going to anyway. LOL)

It's been so long since I've written any poetry, and now that I've started, I can't seem to stop. But, I haven't done much with any other writing in a couple of weeks. So, let's see what I have and what I can accomplish in....say a week.

  1. Wilderness - This was supposed to be a short story, but it's grown to over 60,000 words so far and I think I'm about 2/3 done. Problem is, I'm stuck for what to do next. My main character is in jail, charged with murder. The real murderer is still running around free. But the question is, how the hell do I get him out of jail? I think I wrote myself into a corner here. I may have to redo the last 50 or 75 pages...which sucks, cause the writing itself is great.
  2. Nightmare - great plot idea (at least I think so), and the writing is some of the best I've ever done. Got about 2,000 words on this one, but I can't quite seem to capture the voice I was writing in...
  3. Flashback - I love the premise of this one. I also like the style I was writing in. But I put it down for maybe a little too long and can't seem to pick it back up...a little over 2,000 words.
  4. Untitled - 500 words, mediocre writing and no idea where I was going with it. Can you say DELETE?
  5. Surviving - almost 3,000 words. I liked the writing, it was good and in a different voice than I usually use. But it was about a wife who didn't know her husband was having an affair with her friend...and it got a little close to home. I may pick it back up eventually, but for now....
  6. Outcast - 200 words, nice writing, good voice, but no idea what the direction is. This was one of those things that popped into my head while I was drunk. Shelved for the moment.
  7. Untitled - over 1,000 words. Good plot, good voice, good writing. But a little too personal...shelved for the moment.
  8. PKJ - Working on a title for this one. Good premise, though I may get in trouble for airing the family's dirty laundry. LOL. Over 4,000 words, great voice and good writing. Similar plot to Nightmare though.
  9. Tired - 400 words, like the writing and the voice, but the subject matter is a little...disturbing. Reserving judgement on this one.
  10. Arendiwanen - Another working title. Good plot, good voice, love the writing. But again, similar to Nightmare. 5,000 words.

So, here's my working list:

  1. Wilderness - 63,000+ words
  2. Flashback - 2,000+ words
  3. Arendiwanen - 5,000+ words
  4. Nightmare - 2,000+ words
  5. PKJ - 4,000+ words

Now, let's see what I can do in a week. :D


© 1991-2009 Samantha Greene

No comments: