Friday, August 29, 2008

For myself for once...

How did I get myself crammed into
This narrow view everyone has
Of what I should be?
Why am I so afraid to
Simply be myself?
What's so terrible about
Who I really am?
I am strong;
But I let myself be weak,
So that he will feel I need him;
Just because I don't want
To be alone.
I let my past rule me,
Not because I fear the future,
But because my scars shame me.
I continue to let my family
Hurt me and have power over me,
Because they are all that I have.
And I am so very tired of trying to be
Everything for everyone.
I want to live for myself without
Feeling selfish or irresponsible.
I want to be myself, no matter how
It shocks, dismays or frightens you.
I want to be happy and content.
I was, once upon a time.
I will be again.

© 1991-2009 Samantha Greene

No comments: